Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Terminology Tuesday: Immanence

Immanence: The idea that God is present in, close to and involved with creation. Unlike pantheism, which teaches that God and the world are one or that God is the "soul" (animating principle) of the world, Christian theology teaches that God is constantly involved with creation without actually becoming exhausted by creation or ceasing to be divine in any way.1

1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 63.

1 comments :

jeremy said...

I am a Christian and not remotely pantheistic, but I don't understand immanence. If God is not in the material world totally at all times, isn't that somehow limiting? (I know I am confused b/c I make the same 'limiting' mistake when I think of the Trinity as separate parts of God. i try not too but somehow the old pieces of pie picture jumps in my head for a second before I can flush it out. Thanks to any and all comments that can explain the thinking errors I am making b/c I have been doing them for years.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. By posting your comment you are agreeing to the comment policy.

Blog Archive

Amz